Explore the Ocean with Argo
Introduction to Argo floats and how they are used to increase our understand the oceans.
- How Argo floats work: Construction, mechanics of operation, instruments and measurements made, data transmission etc.
- The Argo float cycle: Illustration of the 10-day Argo measurement cycle
View the floats in Google Earth
How to view the Argo floats in Google Earth
- Selected floats Goolge Earth KML file of selected floats with links to more information.
NB! Requires Google Earth to be installed.
- Other data for Google Earth: List of Argo and other data sets available in KML format
Understanding Argo data
Hints on what to look out for in the Argo profiles and sections. How to download the data from individual floats
- Interpreting data from float ...Interactive page allowing user to display and interpret plots from active float that deliver data to Argo. Notes on interpretation with links to background information are available for selected floats.
An Argo tour of the world
The main ocean regions; how their characteristics and dynamics may be studied using Argo floats and other information.
How Argo data is used
Argo applications in ocean forecasting, research, climate predictions, and Earth Observation.
A brief history of Argo
A history of early profiling floats and the development of the Argo programme
- What's in a name? From Greek myth to ocean observations: How "Jason and the Argonauts" gave name to "Jason and the Argo floats".